Sunday, June 17, 2007

This is a story about how I survived drinking a glass of India tap water

This weekend I went to my cooking teacher's house, her husband teaches painting here and wanted to show me his work. On a side note he's really good (traditional Indian style)-anyone know of any venues that he could break into in the states?
They recently found a baby squirrel (chipmunk) abandoned outside of their house and have taken it in. Absolutely adorable-I'll post pictures as soon as i can figure it out.
Anyway
He asked me when the monsoon was in Colorado and was very shocked to here my answer. Which brings me to the monsoon.
I love it! I was so worried coming here at his time but it is beautiful. It pours rain at least once a day and each time the electricity goes out. The downside is the mosquito population is huge and consequently there are a couple of viral outbreaks in the area, dengue fever and a new one Chikugunri(sp?). It appears that malaria is the least of my worries here. I am slathering on the repellent but you can only do so much. At the center they have started an "all organic" mosquitp pest control program. This entails the "eterminator" walking round with a plate of incense and a bottle full of a brownish liqud (lemon grass) with a rag stuffed in the top which he uses to annoint all of the doorways. Everything smells like furniture polish and church.
Oh and the glass of tap water-I unwittingly drank it at my teachers house-disguised as pineapple juice. I haven't died yet but will keep you posted-if the mosquitos dont get to me first....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it.

Tina said...

Hey Janice - thought I would pee my pants reading about your massage, too funny! Stay safe, T