Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Oiled and Well in India

So i had a really funny experience yesterday that still has me laughing. The school that i am studying at offers ayuervedic classes and massage. As part of you stay you are given one massage (for an idea on pricing in india a one hour massage will run about 6 dollars) i was pysched even though the other students made comments such as "oh you haven't had your massage yet hehe" and "prepare to be very naked". okay no problem i'm okay with being naked with strangers after all of my time in onsens and figure drawing classes. so i was taken to this very dim low ceiling thatch roofed building (shack) and greeted by a very short indian woman. after bolting the door behind me she said "dress off" by which she meant strip completely which she stared intently. the she let me stand there while she puttered around in and out of the room, finally taking me into the massage room. The massage table is a thick slab of wood with raised edges it looks to be saturated with years and years of oil build up. which it was as you will soon hear. I was motioned to sit at the edge of the table while the massuse stood in front of me and first poured a ladle of oil on my head and then systematically spread oil all over my body, arms stomach breasts no holds bar. at this point i was trying not to laugh hysterically. The massage coninued with copious amounts of oil and nudity and slipping around on the table. and no it was not sexy. imagine an extremely hot and humid day going into a stuffy room stripping and pouring gallons of wesson canola oil over your body. that was my massage. I kept on thinking oh I wish Aunt Vic had decided to come along to India.
On another note I love my classes i am learing lots of delicious recipes and Hindi though difficult is going smoothly-thanks mostly to my fear of my teacher. During my first lesson she taught me the first 30 hindi characters then immediately began writing sentences and saying "okay read this", "come on you know this, i just taught to you!".
The house that i am staying in is undergoing some kind of home improvment. All of the walls are being painted but they look exactly the same, the only difference is now the marble floor is covered in paint.
I think i should start an entry with interesting, silly and unbelievable things that i see each day.
Today my hindi teacher balled up a piece of paper and just through it over her shoulder onto the ground-my classroom is outside. It's shocking and sadto see such blatant littering, there is garbage everywhere here.
On my walk to the bank today i passed a man welding outside, he was bare handed and of course not wearing eye protection.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that massage sounds awesomely hilarious! glad you're well. xoxo- talice

Anonymous said...

omg. love it.

my first massage ever was in india.

very similar sitch but with two therapists. totally nuts. and i was even more shocked getting my first massage in the states when i came home... so much covering up!

you must go to this spa in kumbakonam and get lots of spa treatments there. they are heavenly and like nothing you will get in this country.

man, i really need to come over and hang with you.

love your stories and is taking me back in such a great way.
xoxox mucho

materialsgirl said...

AHHHHhhaahaahahaha!!!!!!!That is to funny laughing my ass off!