Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Numerology

Namaste

My Hindi teacher is a firm believer in numerology and astrology,today we found out that she has the same birthday as Joshua (September 17th) and now wants to talk to him to "see if the eight has followed him through life".??? She also said that he must perform all important tasks on the first and that i should try as much as possible to have our child on the 1st, 3rd or 11th. She told me that he as a virgo is much more soft hearted and family oriented then my hard hearted Scorpio self.
Yesterday I saw her get onto the back of her husbands motorcycle-riding side saddle-no helmet, of course. I told her today that i thought she was very brave (ie: crazy) and she said that she wants to sit astride but her husband will not let her because it is unladylike. This from a very well educated assertive woman.

Today in cooking i made the most amazing dishes-i am drooling thinking about them and i just ate it 2 hours ago. We made coconut rice pancakes (aapum) and a chickpea curry. The food here is very good, Kerala has its own style of cooking which is very different then north indian cuisine-which is what i have mainly had in the states. Almost every dish that I have learned so far uses fresh coconut, they all have been vegan too. I can't wait to cook for everyone when I get home. My cooking teacher Nisha, asked if my husband was eating while I am away. I said I sure hoped so because 2 months is a long time to fast.

Meals at the school are also quite good but kind of dulled down spice wise, this due to the complaining foreigners (Brits). Seriously, we had some amazing masala dosa the other evening and so many people were complaining about the mildly spicy flavor.
I am planning my second month of travel so for those of you who have talked about coming here (Kathy, it really sounds as though you want to) let me know where to meet you. I will dazzel you with my hindi skills: Ap kesee he? Mai teek ho.

5 comments:

mama j said...

Dad and I are in stitches...makes me want to check and see if Dad does have a Santa hidden in the closet...how did you ever get the oil off your body...seems to be a very entertaining experience, almost surreal! Miss you, keep writing...love, mom & dad J

Jak said...

Yay for good food. Can you come to Seattle and show off your mad cooking skills first? I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

omg that sounds so awesome. i am totally jealous that you get to learn south indian cooking - awesome!

how long will you be there again?

J. Jakielski said...

I'm at the center until July 7th and then traveling until the 31st. I think around the southern coast, inland to mysore/bangalore/hampi, fly to delhi and a week around there. I'm not sure yet.
Deb, so has your house sold yet?

60.0843 said...

Hey love, the package is on its way. It will be there in <7days. Give me a call tonight. I love you.

Joshua