Monday, July 16, 2007

Pondicherry-Mamallapurum-Hampi

I can believe that I haven't written on here for eight days, eights days is a lifetime so much has happened. My internet access has been spotty the electricity has been out for over 24 hours-i'm working off of a generator right now.
So picking up where i left off... I loved Madurai, the temple was amazing, my hotel fantastic with a wonderful rooftop restaurant with lovely views. Next I took the bus to Pondicherry looking forward to the beaches and french flavor (pondi used to be a french colony). I was promptly disappointed, within 15 minutes i couldn't wait to leave the place. Everything was overpriced, my hotel, on the beach but without windows and french tourists everywhere on motor scooters.
I scoped out the sites and left after one night-took a bus north 2 hours to the beach town of Mamallapuram. The town is famous for its stone carvings and caves, unfortunately this also draws lots of tourists from Pondicherry. I checked into a n extremely seedy hotel-half of the time there was no water or electricity (but you couldn't beat the price) and spent the first day lounging on the beach-the part that isn't being used as a public toilet. The next day I went to see the carvings-oputstanding! Unfortunately this was a a very high pressure tout-filled town. Literally every ten feet I was accosted by someone, asking for money trying to get me to buy something or go into their shop. By the end of the day I was irritated and exhausted. It makes me cringe to think what the north is going to be like, at least josh will be with me. I'm pretty good at keeping my temper but i have to admit I stared being pretty bitchy.
Next I caught a bus up to Chennai, a large city where i would be taking a train to Bangalore and then to Hampi. Talk about a shock, the train station was modern-with chairs and fans and tv screens with departure information wow it was like being in a completely different country. There were no animals roaming around, many women had short hair and some were even travelling alone.
I met a really nice man on the train-he and his wife are living in Bangalore and he is riding the IT wave that has hit the area. Mahesh gave me the low down on indian politics and translated some of the funnier conversations around us, (also pointing out that the man selling Lays chips going up and down the isle sounded like he was calling out Siphillysis). In return he was stared at just as hard as I was which amusingly enough irritated him to no end. He has a blog- the address is on the comment page of my last entry if you all want to check it out.
Bangalore was just as modern as Chennai- I never left the train station but was pleased to be in a place so easy to navigate. I caught the overnight train to Hampi and when I woke up it was if I had dreamed everything. The Hampi station had a large sand pit in the center oif the floor, the street out front strewn with goats, cows and mangy dogs.
and that is one of the many reasons why I love travelling in India-you never know what you are going to wake up to.
So finally, I am in Hampi and it is my favorite place that I have been so far. Hampi is a small town surrounded by hills covered in large boulders-absolutely covered and on top and in between the boulders are ruins of a town from 14-1500AD. It is enchanting beyond words. The hills are so peaceful I have spent hours wondering along old paths coming upon old temples, bazaars and amazing rock carvings. I'm staying in a homey little guest house with amazing views, everyone is very laid back-my kind of place. Oh and there are monkeys everywhere!
Unfortunatly I need to hit the road tonight. Hyderabad is next on the schedule- a city that is supposed to be split down the center between old and new india.
I'm dying to upload some pictures-hopefully Hyderbad will provide the oppurtunity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i sooooo wish i was there with you!
and lovoe living vicariously through you.

i can totally see you getting all bitchy with the shop people.
have you had chai at a roadside stand yet?
it's dodgy but it's hot so everything bad is killed, right? soo delicious!

so neat to hear about bangalore. when i was there they were building all these modern buildings but the women construction workers were carrying baskets of boulders on their heads! such a beautifully strange dichotomy of new vs. old.

you said it sooo well.. the best part about traveling in india is that you never know what you'll wake up to.

yay snarks!

MAHESH said...

Thanks for that one... LOL! Yes... the old city in Hyderabad is called the 'Charminar' side... Really worth checking out.

vineshkumar said...

nice posting

Best Hotel in Madurai

Hai Baji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hai Baji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.